Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Love at First Sight

It’s been over a month since I last wrote something. And boy it has been one happening month. I would say… one of the best in the recent times.

That day was… amazing.
14th was my destination. Doesn’t normally take a long time coz the lifts are real fast these days. But that day it almost took an eternity to cross those 14 god forsaken floors!

Ground Floor
The doors opened. Wow… lucks! I noticed three girls as I entered.

Second Floor

The doors opened again and this time round my heart skipped a beat. Standing before me was one of the most amazing beauties of my time. Sporting an addidas T and a pair of white pyjamas, she had a sling bag across her front. A couple of painting brushes in her hand and strokes of color on her face said that she was a painter. Stepping in, she stood next to me and pressed 14. My heart settled down past its usual place, somewhere near the bottom.
That was my floor too!!

Fifth floor

She noticed me. There I was… in a pale ugly t-shirt with an inappropriately greased jeans (thanks to the car servicing) looking like an M F Hussain modern abstract art. Why god why? Always the wrong time!
She smiled, “Hi”. I gasped, mouth wide open. My voice was stuck inside me trying to find its way out through the proper channel. Not sure if it did mange to, but I guess I said something, which sounded like ‘Haawy’. “Hey”, said someone behind me along with some giggles. Nuts!! It wasn’t me. Crap! It was one of those times when u wish dinosaurs weren’t extinct and could be whistled at will to come and gulp you down. I went numb, fingers in mid air.

Seventh floor
I missed the exchange of next few words between her and the gal behind me. Giggling continued. Oh god!

Tenth Floor
Now it was just the two of us.
Just four floors left. It was now or never. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I dumbly stared at the buttons on the panel as if trying to decode some secret message. I thought of saying something about paintings. But I knew about paintings as much as I knew about goblin families.

Eleventh floor
I fumbled with my car keys as countless topics raced through my mind- cars, Addidas, tooth brushes, pyjamas… Gawd!! Is this all I can think of?

Twelfth floor

I was in love. The love bug acted of its own accord and somewhere between the ground and the tenth floor I was knocked out. And now it was my turn… I had to make a move. I had to say something damn it.
I felt like there was a wild stampede inside me that started somewhere near the tongue and was going down, through the stomach to the intestine.

Thirteenth floor

I forgot, there is no 13th floor in these buildings. Why all the builders have to suffer from triskaidekaphobia? An additional floor would have been handy in such a dire situation.

Somewhere near the 14th floor
“Gee… I… daught it was… u meant down dere… said Hi”.

Fourteenth floor

I could see my ears growing longer and red. I felt like a bunny rabbit. Jumping up and down.
No I think that was my heart. But what’s with the ears?
“Sorry?” she said curtly. And the doors opened. I could hear more giggles as she walked out and the doors closed back. Man…Giggling should be made illegal.

21 comments:

Puneet said...

hahaha!!
Someone's got to learn to speak right words at the right time!! or may be speak something at least;)
Nice to see humor comin from tollerant Tanmaya!!

Unknown said...

damn cute incident..n funny too..:D.. u gotta learn to spk dude.. n i cant believe.. how cud u let ur luv at first sight go just like dat!! :P :D

Tanmaya said...

@ Puneet
For once plz stop thinking of Tanmaya as a sane, serious guy... am as normal as hobbits!
And then... yes yaar... sometimes we really get tongue-tied.

@ Shikha
Someone said... if u r in love at first sight then go back and look again. I kept waiting for that second look :(

Mayank said...

Nice blog dude...description of d gurl was cool...

The ending cud have been better!
;)

PDM said...

Awesome blog!!! felt a vicarious thrill perusing it. Weren't u carrying a camera cellphone? I'd've loved 2 see the girl who made our very "insular" tanmaya fall in love at first sight. :)

simrita said...

hey tanmaya pls forgive me if i misunderstood ur feelings..........but what i felt was the incident.....as u percieved it was nothing but an imagery of ur subconscious mind........u have just left ur col and not yet joined the job..........this void in ur life has made u b'lv that ur alone and need companionship..........blv me if u had some wrk to do etc........or it was ur normal hectic life u wudnt have thought abt the incident fr a month!

simrita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tanmaya said...

@ mayank
Dude... i so wish that the ending were different!

@ PDM
Thanks. This appreciation coming from you means a lot. I wish i had senses to take a pic of the girl... on second thought... had i done so, the blog would hav been action packed ;)
But c'mon yar... i am not "insular".

Anonymous said...

From PKG:
Nice little story, having a mix of both reality and fiction. The plot written by the author is completely fictional but the feelings are truly heart felt and real (and I know it for sure).
It does takes a lot of courage to say the right things at the right time. But most of us feel tongue tied. I guess this blog was written coz the author now feels that the he did speak but at wrong time (actually a litl late) dont worry buddy she will come.. one day she will...

Tanmaya said...

@ PKG
Yes bro... the feeling are real. Between u and me, dont know what is right... saying the right thing at the right time or saying to the right person!!

@ Simrita
May be... u hav hit the essence. Their certainly is a void but it's not just coz of no-work.
But trust me, you are seeing beyond the visible.

Adi said...

So this is how to get our blogs read!!!!

Adi said...

Damn nicely written man. Right down to the 'giggling should be made illegal' part out of J.K.R.'s handbook. Evoked nice memories.

Anonymous said...

Good writing...something definitely different from the sad poems...

Anonymous said...

Good writing...something definitely different from the sad poems...

Anonymous said...

You write pretty well....especially this one was a bit different from other blogs.....i don know wheather it was real or fiction.....if true ...pity...and if not......good imagination.

Tanmaya said...

@Ankur

Dude... i am not a passimist... so i dont write just sad poems.

Tanmaya said...

@Aditi

gee... thanks! Ur comment matters coz i know u can understand.
And this wasnt completely fictional... but part of it happened to me ;)

Here n Now said...

Awesome compilation....maza aa agaya :)

Tanmaya said...

@ here & now

Thanks a lot buddy!!! But who are you?

Unknown said...

it was cute........ happens!
Atleast i am smiling... hope u know its tough to make a girl smile when she's full of tears and that too after reading your earlier bankok tour experience.....:-)

Ritika Gupta said...

Nice read!